How to Measure Muscle Gain and Fat Loss
Are you trying to lose fat and gain muscle but feel you aren't seeing much progress? Have you been trying different diets, workouts, and other options to get the results you want without much success? Perhaps you feel you're gaining weight and mass but aren't sure whether it's more fat or muscle.
Whatever the case, you're in luck. There are options that can help you learn why you aren't seeing the results you want as well as help you learn how to get those results with just a little time and effort.
One great option is the body composition scan. This scan helps individuals learn about their body and health on a deeper level that wasn't attainable before. With a better understanding of what's going on internally, you can take action to give your body what it needs to grow stronger, shed fat, and be healthier overall.
In short, the body composition scan gives you some valuable information that can make all the difference between no results and the best results. So, how exactly does a body composition scan help you pinpoint muscle gains and fat loss? We'll run through all the ins and outs below.
What Is a Body Composition Scan, Exactly?
The body composition scan is "the most accurate method for body composition analysis" to date. With the scan, individuals are given comprehensive data on their body's current composition, meaning the distribution of muscle, fat, and bone. The scan uses FDA-approved technology that is used specifically to measure and quantify lean mass, fat mass, visceral fat, and bone mass. This is done to identify issues like osteoporosis as well find an individual's risk for certain chronic health issues like heart disease, high blood pressure, and even hormonal imbalances.
All in all the scan is widely viewed as the industry leader in measuring your body fat, lean mass, bone health, and more. Due to the state-of-the-art technology used in the scan as well as the hyper-accurate results, those who undergo the body composition scan are able to learn about their bodies on a deeper level, giving them insight on how to better care for themselves physically and mentally. What's more, when you get a body composition scan you can expect the following:
- Useful feedback that offers insights on the best ways for YOU to get rid of stubborn fat and build muscle - not just generic advice that may or may not work for your body's needs.
- Different angled visualizations that help you map and pinpoint your exact muscle gains and fat loss in specific areas of your body.
- Ways to easily and accurately track your body's physiological response to your diet and fitness plan. You'll be able to know what's working, what's not, and what needs some fine-tuning for the future.
- Feedback on bone health, the risk for certain diseases, and other potential risk factors.
- Identification of personal health risks, both immediate and long-term. These can include everything from diabetes and cardiovascular disease to hormonal issues and imbalances and more.
The Body Composition scan is unique in that it uses precision dual-energy X-Ray technology. Known as the gold standard for measuring body composition as well as one’s health, this method is not just used by DexaFit but is also fully trusted sports labs, medicine, and health research around the globe. In short, getting a body composition scan is one of the best things you can do to lose fat, gain muscle, and transform your health overall.
How Is It Done?
Now that you have an idea of what a body composition scan is and what it can do for you, you're likely wondering how the scan itself is done. Fortunately, the process is simple. The body composition scan is completed in these easy steps:
- Begin at the Beginning: To start the whole process, you need to schedule an appointment to get one done. There are companies and practices that offer Dexa scans around Austin (Austin Thyroid and Endocrinology for example), who offer the body composition scan along with review and tips with an experienced technician.
- Prep: Once you have an appointment set and the big day arrives, be sure to arrive at your scan in the proper clothing. The best option is to wear workout clothes without any trace of metal, as this can disrupt the test and ruin the results. Workout clothes are also easier and comfier to do the scan in, making them an excellent option.
- Follow directions for a successful scan: For the body composition scan, you will lie on the scanner for 6-10 minutes. After that, the scan is done!
- Once the scan is over, your results will be ready immediately. At this point, you and your scan technical will review your results with you as well as answer any questions you may have about them.
And there you have it: just a few simple steps and the body composition scan is done. So, now what?
What to Do With the Scan Information Once You Have It:
Pinpointing Muscle Gains and Fat Loss
Now that the scan has been conducted and you've got your results, what happens next? The answer is simple: use the data to help you pinpoint muscle gains, fat percentage, and fat loss. Improving your body composition will take some work, but it can be done with the right amount of determination.
In fact, getting a body composition scan is a great first step to improving your body composition because you're taking a more focused and intentional approach to learning about your body. When you have this specific data, you understand what your unique body needs. This means you won't have to waste any more time on generic fad diets and workouts that are designed to work for the masses but, in reality, do not return any results.
Everyone's body is different, and while there are some universal truths that work for everyone (i.e. eating veggies, drinking plenty of water, eight hours of sleep), some things might not work as well for others. For example, while a diet may be effective for one person, it might not work for you, and it all depends on your body type and what your body needs. With this in mind, you can rest assured that your body composition scan results will give you the insights and tools you need to get your health and physical wellness into optimal shape.
Diets, Workouts, and Lifestyle Changes That Are Right for You
Once you have your body composition scan results, you can create diets, workouts, and other lifestyle changes that will help you gain muscle, lose stubborn fat and feel better all around:
- Diets: There are a variety of diets to try to help you lose weight and gain muscle, but one you might want to look into is the ketogenic diet. This unique diet helps your body to rely on fat for energy rather than glucose, which means you're burning fat at a higher rate than normal. When this happens, you lose excess fat and begin to build muscle while enjoying foods that are low in carbs but high in good fats like certain fruits, meats, veggies, and more.
- Workout: Working with a trainer can usually help you devise a workout plan that it is right for your body and pinpoints the areas you want to improve. Rather than looking into whole body workouts, you may want to focus on certain areas like your midsection where most visceral fat is carried. Some workouts that target this area include swimming, crunches, jogging, and even Yoga. While these workouts will help you lose fat, they will also strengthen your muscles and build stamina over time.
- Lifestyle Changes: Drinking more water, getting more sleep, avoiding certain foods, and learning how to destress can also work wonders on your body. When you sleep well and cut down stress in your life you're more likely to lose stubborn fat. Drinking water and consuming/avoiding certain foods can also help your metabolism and other bodily functions work better and more efficiently.
A body composition scan is a great and simple way to really transform your body in an effective and lasting way. We hope that the many resources that come with getting a scan will help you on your journey to optimal health and wellness!